Who doesn't love a cake that not only looks delicious but is even better for you? The latest raw food craze has specialty stores popping up all over town and our latest find The Raw Kitchen, makes the most beautiful cakes that are also full of goodness being dairy, gluten, wheat and sugar free. We love the taste so much we had a chat to The Raw Kitchen's founder Olivia, about the story behind her cakes and asked her to share one of her recipes with us....
How did The Raw Kitchen come about?
In my final year of university of Wellington I became hugely involved with raw foods. I became fascinated in the raw food movement and started studying the diet through books, websites and personal experimentation. My life evolved from the experience, physically, mentally and spiritually. I finished my business degree that year and decided to study nutrition. Soon after I started The Raw Kitchen and it bloomed very organically. Now our cakes are sold online and delivered throughout Auckland. We also stock our cakes in various cafes and restaurants. The cakes are made solely out of raw fruits, needs, seeds, coconuts, superfoods and some herbs & spices.
What is the ethos behind The Raw Kitchen?
Our motto is 'Eating for happiness, wholeness and health.' We create food that is going to nourish our bodies, as well as taste amazing. It stems from our bigger goal of helping to educate people on eating right for their bodies, and showing them that healthy, fresh food can heal the body.
What is your favourite treat you make?
That's a hard question! We are always innovating and creating new flavours. I do love our classic lemon flavour, or our torte cake, which is a white chocolate, raspberry and dark chocolate layer cake.
We've noticed The Raw Kitchen is served at Mondays. What do you love about what they're doing there?
Mondays has a really great vibe. I love being there because it is so naturally welcoming and relaxing. I also love that everything there is made from scratch from whole, natural ingredients.
What's next for The Raw Kitchen?
We have some exciting things happening that I can't quite share yet - so stay tuned!
WHITE CHOCOLATE, RHUBARB, PISTACHIO & RASPBERRY RAW CHEESECAKE
You will need:
• 1 cup almonds
• 1 cup desiccated coconut
• 2 tbsp coconut oil (soft or liquid)
• 1 cup soaked dates
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/2 cup of freeze-dried or frozen raspberries
• 4 cups cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
• 1/2 cup coconut oil (soft or liquid)
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup cacao butter
• 1 tbsp vanilla or 1 vanilla pod
• 1 tbsp salt
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• Dehydrated rhubarb (8 stalks)
• 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachio nuts
- Blend in your food processor almonds, coconut, salt and vanilla until fine powder forms (usually after about 3 minutes).
- Add your coconut oil and blend further until coconut oil gives a gloss to the mixture.
- Now add your soaked dates and blend further until it is well mixed through the bowl.
- Press this into a 22cm springform cake pan.
- Use your freeze dried berries here and sprinkle them on top of your base. Place into the fridge to set while you are making the filling.
- Blend in your blender all ingredients for the filling until smooth and creamy. You may like to add extra flavours if you desire, such as vanilla, salt or lemon. Pour this on top of your base and smooth down top with a spoon.
- Now the fun part - garnish your cake with dehydrated rhubarb, pistachios and any left over raspberries.
- Place in the freezer overnight to set. After 8 hours, clip off sides of the springform pan, and leave for 45 minutes before serving. You can keep your cake in the fridge for up to a week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
We can't wait to make this delicious cake!